Friday, January 18, 2013

Lentils and Rice Stir-Fry


This meal, served with fresh cut veggies, is now an established weekly routine in our house. Not only is it fast, budget friendly and nutritious ... it's super yummy.

2 cups dry basmati rice - brown or white
1 gluten-free, vegetable bouillon cube (McCormick Gourmet makes good all-vegetable option)
1 tsp sea salt
3-4 tbsp butter
2 yellow onions, chopped
1 can lentils
Sriracha sauce (optional)

Cook rice at your convenience.


I use a rice cooker, but you could make it easily in a saucepan as well. To prep the rice for cooking, let in soak in water for 30 min. Drain and rinse well before adding to the rice cooker. Add 3 cups water, bouillon cube and salt - stir, breaking up the bouillon cube a little. My rice cooker has two settings - cook and warm. I set in on cook and when I see that it's switched to warm, I unplug it and let it sit until I'm ready for dinner. It can sit on the counter all day, as cold rice is better for stir-fry anyway.


Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onion and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally until they are caramelized and soft - about 15-20 min. (Have a cup of coffee, stir, work on homework with your kiddos, stir, do a load of laundry, stir - I love low-maintenance meals!). 


Drain and rinse the can of lentils.  Add them to the onions and turn heat to medium. Stir and fry for about 30 seconds.


Add rice and continue stirring and frying.


5 minutes later - done!
Serve with a healthy squirt of Sriracha, if you want to give it a kick (not for the kiddos, of course).


I would even go as far to say this has become a comfort food to us. It's warm, hearty and full of protein and fibre! Don't forget fresh veggies on the side (snap peas, carrots, sweet cherry tomatoes ... the list goes on) - they are a perfect compliment!

2 comments:

  1. I made this and it turned out great! Had it for dinner one night and have used it as a filler for crepes, wraps etc. ever since. I will definitely make this again...thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, I'm looking for a Recipes For Stir Fry that I can cook for our dinner today. My friend told me to look a stir fry because it is easy to prepare. Later, I will ask my sister to help me to cook this recipe. Thank you!.

    ReplyDelete