Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kansas City BBQ Sauce (Gluten-free)


One new and very BIG struggle for me and gluten-free is BBQ.  So many sauces have caramel colour, which could be derived from wheat, so ... all our favourite local Kansas City BBQ sauces have suddenly become off-limits. What??!!  I grew up in Kansas City ... this is simply NOT going to work for me!  Not to mention, Matt ... who lives for the smoky, sweet, tangy flavour of BBQ sauce.

When I got over my rant, I started looking online for some way, some how to make my own.  I stumbled upon this YouTube video and a glimmer of hope twinkled in my eye.  I did adapt it a bit.  Heinz ketchup is gluten-free, but I thought it needed a little more flavour and chili sauce seemed to do the trick.  It really does taste like home - like Gates ...

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 heaping teaspoon celery seeds
1 heaping teaspoon ground cumin
1 heaping teaspoon ground red pepper (1/4-1/2 tsp if you don't want it spicy)
1 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 heaping teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (Braggs is the best!)
2 cups chili sauce (Heinz is gluten-free ... just check the label on your bottle)
3 drops of liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice (I just squeeze in a couple drops)

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil stirring constantly.  Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally so the sauce doesn't burn on the bottom.

 

Cool to room temperature and spoon into jars.  Store in the refrigerator - it will keep for a month or so, but I doubt it will last that long. :)

2 comments: